CD album cover design process
For the images of Daft Punk and Deadmau5 I used the same steps as mentioned in the previous posts by simplifying the colour in Photoshop then transferring the image to Illustrator and using the pen tool to create the outlines in conjunction with the eye-dropper tool to mimic the colour. After looking at multiple layouts and structures of how to make 3 section CD cases I chose to make it so that the inside areas all flap inwards to add stability as well as meaning I have no need to print once on one side and then once on the opposing side.
Here is the layout of the inside spread featuring Deadmau5 in the center with Daft Punk on both sides. I left areas on the CD case for when i glue it together to trim to make sure there aren’t any pieces that overlap or underlap.
Here is the front cover and spine, for the Daft Punk I cut out the words using a scalpel and then went around the letters with black ink and a calligraphy pen, which I then scanned in and inverted in Photoshop so that it would contrast against the back background. For the Deadmau5 title I printed off the font similar to the font used and then using an airbrush and black paint covered the text and then same as the other title inverted the image and placed the same font over the top to create the effect these both link to the dance and electronic genres because most of the venues they are played in a underground locations covered in graffiti and street art. I added the name of the album and increased the leading and spacing of the letters so that it would be easier to read when looked at by an audience; I used Gill Sans Light as the typeface because of how clean the typeface is to read.
For the back of the album cover I used the same font as the title on the front cover and created the names of the songs, albums they were released on and the length of the songs. I separated the songs so that they’re easily identifiable as well as being positioned similar to the front cover to make it easier for the audience will connect of the artists with the songs. There is an S-shape on the inside cover page is placed so that I know where to cut to make the insert held in place.
To symbolise paint cannons used when this genre of music is played live and in clubs I added in ink splatter that I created myself using black ink and a straw. I tried colouring the paint splatters in florescent colours, but it looked out of place and didn’t really match the black and white which I used to symbolise the flickering of a strobe light.