Note Design Process
To begin with I started by designing the back of the note after measuring the to scale mock ups of the notes that I created from paper and started to integrate the geometric shapes with a repeating hexagonal grid which I made myself. I wanted to use the geometric background because of the modernisation that I had researched from the newly minted money from around the world as well as the newer British money. I made the background and clipping masked it leaving a bleed so that when printed they can be cut out without any white areas showing on the border.
I then found a typeface called Infinium Guardian which was a very angular san-serif typeface with sharp corners but has some curves so that it is still readable for people. I asked people to look at the and a list of other San-Serif typefaces including Ariel, Charter, Adobe Devanagari, Futura, Gill Sans, Microsoft Sans Serif and Tahoma as well as other fonts from Da Font including some black letter fonts and another modern font which is futuristic called Dodger; however Infinium was a clearer and more modern typeface that the audience chose. I then typed out the value of the notes in numerical value as well as written text altering the kerning and spacing between two words of fifty pounds so that they could be read easily at the scale they would be printed. I tried to make sure that the lettering were about the same size as the current notes text as an an example of size and scale.
I then inserted the data matrix which is unique for all the notes containing the information about what the value of the note written and numerical, the location ie Bank of England as well as a random security number and I also integrated hidden text as another security feature that I researched into the matrix and removed any of the hexagons that were around it so that scanning the matrix is easier and reading the text. I also added a magnetic strip down the center of the all notes which is another security feature to deter counterfeiters. The magnetic strip would be black because when printed I was going to foil it to look realistic and so added a grey gradient for the digital copy to get across the metallic look.
I repeated the past steps for the front of the notes keeping an area black of hexagons because I wanted some contrast to the colours of the notes. For the coat of arms I began by looking at the original coat of arms and using the pen tool created a newer version with straight edges and spacing between layers that make it look more 3D as well as removing some of the details that would have been removed because the coat of arms I feel looked dated so changing the shaping to straight lines looked more modern. I wanted some difference in the design so I angled the crest because I didn’t want to have everything to be all level and coloured it in lighter colours to contrast the brighter colours of the notes main colours. I left spacing around the crest so that it stood out more and looked aesthetically pleasing instead of leaving the hexagons behind it which didn’t let the crest stand out. I also experimented with having the hexagons white and having the background coloured to the specific note colours, however this didn’t look very good when compared to the original and getting feedback.